Saturday, December 29, 2012

What is Visualizing?




What is Visualizing? Why is visualizing important?
  • Visualizing is creating mental images in our head before, during, and after reading. I explain it to my students as seeing a movie in your head as a part of reading.
  • Students may use their five senses (sensory images) to enhance reading. Therefore, reading "comes to life".
  • Reading becomes personal and memorable through visualizing.
During a recent lesson with some of fifth grade students, we reviewed visualizations and imagery. I read an excerpt from "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud". As I was reading the poem, the students were drawing their visualizations. Here is the excerpt:
I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze. 
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
Excerpt from “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud” by William Wordsworth

Here are some pictures of my students drawings:




 






Here is a lesson I taught last year in regards to visualizations using the book, Two Bad Ants  by Chris Van Allsburg.















No comments:

Post a Comment