Monday, March 7, 2011

Dr. Seuss is on the Loose!

Last week, we started our Seuss Celebration on Wednesday. (Well, this day turned out to be W.acky Wednesday because my school had to be evacuated due to a gas leak. We had to go to the middle school next door. Everyone was safe, but no Seuss Celebration on his birthday.) Anyway, we started our Seuss Adventures last week. Our grade level took turns switching classes, my lesson included reading My Many Colored Days. We discussed feelings and how wearing colors made us feel.  I used Mrs. Larremore's idea and had the students write about their colored day. I added a because in the writing. When my students shared their writing, they had to use drama or dance to show their feeling. Some classes used colored pencils to illustrate. My class did a crayon resist. Here are some examples:

On Friday, we read If I Ran the Zoo. We made a t-chart as we discussed real zoo animals and Dr. Seuss's (McGrew's Zoo Animals) . Students then used art supplies and cut outs (as an option) to create a McGrew Zoo Animal. We have been discussing Who? What? When? Where? and Why? during our last author study. Therefore, students wrote a story about their zoo animal answering these questions. I will post pics tomorrow of their animals.


Today, we read The Foot Book. We reviewed antonyms by making a list of opposites. Then, the students traced their feet. They had to choose a set of opposites to illustrate and use in a sentence.


Fingers---toes

slow-fast


Then, the students used nonstandard units to measure from toe to heel and from side to side.

No comments:

Post a Comment