Friday, March 30, 2012

Chris Van Allsburg--The Z Was Zapped


We began an author study on Chris Van Allsburg. Last year, I purchased the Chris Van Allsburg from Amanda at One Extra Degree. Well, I feel like I hit the jack pot. Like Amanda, I began searching the internet for ideas about Chris Van Allsburg, and I did not find much....so I decided to buy her packet.
So far we have read The Z was Zapped. This book introduces each letter via a stage using alliterations. The letter in the alphabet usually has something bad happed to it.  We have been discussing figurative language (similies and metaphors). I decided to use Amanda's idea and introduce alliterations and create a book with happy actions for each letter. However, I added a twist to LIVEN up my students dull sentences and see what the students had learned about adverbs and adjectives. I gave them this sentence "outline" as a guide: The adjective  letter of the alphabet adverb verb ..... I assigned letters of the alphabet. We did three together. Then, I set them off to write. On day 2, I had some dental work so I left the actual "making the book" page complete with writing and illustrations for the students to complete with the substitute (trustworthy sub that is great in all grade levels). I was so excited when I returned the next day to see the students work. Here are some examples:





1 comment:

  1. Cute! We do an activity like this and my kiddos love it!

    Another book that you can use with a twist kind of like this is A My Name is Alice.

    I would love for you to visit me when you get the chance! =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete