Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Making a New Year's Tradition


This year, I want to begin a memory jar for my family. There are all kind of memory jars out there. Look at this Pinterest Memory Jar board. There are lots and lots as you can see. However, I like Jaden's from a Steamy Kitchen idea the most. I agree with her, in that, we do remember the BIG memories. However, the little memories are usually forgotten. This is a great idea. Therefore, I found this jar. Tonight at the dinner table I explained the process to the family. Immediately, my daughter set off to find some paper. (I did not have any cute paper at home. We decided for me to bring some home from school tomorrow, but a piece of white scrap paper for today.) We added that on Jan. 1, 2013 it was a dreary, rainy day. We watched movies, the Capital Bowl (Go Dawgs!), and kept a fire in the fireplace all day. (I am also on a mission to get a larger jar, and then we can decorate it.)



For the classroom, I found this idea from Math Mojo also on Pinterest. Since, I don't have a homeroom, I am going to tweeked it just a bit for my students. For my AC 4th grade and 5th grade Math classes, I am going to have the students focus on Math "Cans" and adapt or add a goal-setting portion to the project. My second grade and fifth grade Focus students will complete the project also. Be sure to check out my January Pinterest Board for other ideas for the New Year and January.

I will have more January ideas in days to come. I head back to work tomorrow after a wonderful, relaxing break enjoying time with my family and friends. Students come back on January 3 in my district.

What new traditions will you begin for your home, classroom, or self?

Check out more ideas over Show and Tell Tuesday's with Sunny Days in Second Grade





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up to Show & Tell Tuesday!
    LOVE the memory jar idea!!

    Denise
    Sunny Days In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete