Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Juicing 101 and Informational Writing

Okay, I am feeling somewhat guilty with everyone posting all the book studies and Make It Mondays-----So today I am going to share with you how I filled part of my day yesterday.
About 2 years ago, I began juicing for my husband. I found lots of inspiration and recipes from Hallelujah Acres.
First, let me give you a little background knowledge about juice. There are two categories of juice-fruit juices and vegetable juices. Fruit juices cleanse, and vegetable juices heal.  My hubby mainly needed healing. He tried all kinds of vegetable juices, but mainly has stuck to broccoli, celery, and carrot juice.

To juice, you will need about 15-20 carrots (We use organic.), 1/2 head broccoli (You do not have to use organic because broccoli is cut when it is "young".--Just a fact I have learned.), and about 3-5 stalks of celery (We use organic.) Rinse, cut, and place in colander.

Next, you will need a juicer (not a blender). There are all kinds of juicers out there on the market. We have this Green Star Juicer. This is a tritrucating juicer. We have found this juicer to extract more juice with more nutritional content than any other juicer. Juice extracted from this juicer seems to last longer also. Yes, we have tried other juicer such as the Jack LaLanne. ( If you want to find out more about the Green Star juicer, click here because this is not an advertisement for GreenStar.)


Then, simply run the vegetable through the top of the juicer. The juice will fill in the clear container you see and the pulp will go into the bowl you see. This is the final product. My husband would say, "Yummy!" At first, I made double the amount. (That would be one head of broccoli, one bunch of celery, and about 30 carrots.) .
Then, I pour the juice into a jar and place in the refrigerator. This about 4-5 eight ounce servings. At first, when I was making double (about 8-10 eight ounce serving), my husband would drink it all in two days. Now this one jar lasts for two days. (He ia mainly drinking for maintanence and healthy balance now.
Well, this is the pulp. The Jack LaLanne cookbook shows lots of things you can do and make with the pulp. I have only used the pulp one time in meatloaf. All the other times, we just throw away. Perhaps, I should try making muffins, carrot cake, and other sweet treats.
Since many teachers will be using the Common Core and since the Common Core focuses on informational text. Don't forget to bring in those cookbooks or have students bring in cookbooks or find recipes in magazines too as part of nonfictional texts. 

If you like what you see, please consider following my blog so that you do not miss anything.
Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Delena,
    I love reading your blog, so I'm awarding you the Versatile Blogger award. Check my blog to see the rules you need to follow!!
    Congrats,
    Aimee
    Pencils, Books, and Dirty Looks

    ReplyDelete